HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR PEOPLE - TIPS ON DELEGATING
Updated: Dec 4, 2017
Do you manage other people? Do you feel that you don’t have time to delegate and what’s more, you can do the job better yourself? Think again!
What important things could you do if you reclaimed 70% of your time? What would growth for individuals and your organisation look like?
The essence of delegation is to focus on results, not methods. People must have choice in how they do things and they must be responsible for results.
Here are 5 key steps towards delegating successfully
1. Specify the desired results – what needs to be achieved and when. This must be clear and unambiguous to enable mutual understanding of what the results will look like. Use different modes of communication. Be clear about when they should accomplish the results.
2. Provide clear guidelines – what are the parameters within which this person should operate. Point out potential pitfalls, avoiding mistakes made by you and others. Specify what not to do but avoid telling then what to do. This is very important as you want to ensure that responsibility for results rests with them.
3. Identify the resources, human, financial, technical and organisational that they can access to accomplish the desired results.
4. Accountability – devise the performance standards that will be used in evaluating the results and schedule times when reporting and evaluation will take place.
5. Consequences – specify what will happen as a result of the evaluation, both positive and negative, for example, assignment of tasks, development of role, promotion, rewards.
It is worth noting that delegation takes time and patience.
All the above steps should be applied. Depending on the level of maturity of the individual, you decide on the complexity of the activity, the results expected and how tight the guidelines should be.